Most of my life I never really had to *think* about exercising. Throughout high school and college, I stayed active with activities like marching band (one time…at band camp…yeah that was me) and dance, but in the last few years I’ve been slacking in the fitness department. Every now and then, I’ll get the work-out bug, but it doesn’t last long. With the birth of Monkey last September, I’ve been busy being a new momma and have gotten really good at using motherhood as an excuse to put exercise on the back burner. I’ve realized that it’s time to do something for me again. I want to. I need to.
Honestly, the only exercise I’ve done since Monkey was born was the short stint of aerial classes I had while I was still in Portland. I’m hoping to continue those in Michigan, eventually…but we need to get settled down first.
I’m excited to announce that I’ve decided to join over 25 other bloggers in the Go Green, Get Fit Challenge presented by Planet Shoes! I’m ready to get myself back in shape. It won’t be easy, but I want to make exercise a priority. I’ve already started one step in the right direction by joining a gym. Since we just moved back to Michigan, the husband and I are living with my parents until we figure out where we want to settle down. My mom was able to add me to her gym membership and I am excited to start going regularly. This gym has a child watch area, so I can bring Monkey with me while I work out! I tried today for the first time, and while I only left him for a half an hour, and he had to be held the entire time, I think this will be good for both me and for him.
What’s even more exciting is that the husband has decided to join in too! The Go Green, Get Fit Challenge kicks off this coming Monday, June 18th. I’m trying not to set any strict goals like “lose X amount of weight” or “work out X days a week for an hour each day.” I don’t want to set myself up for failure, so my goals are very loose. If I can lose some weight, I’ll be ecstatic, but I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment by assigning a certain amount of weight to lose. I still have about 10 pounds of baby weight on me, and I won’t complain if that magically disappears.
- Participate in a half marathon at the end of the challenge. I will be signing up for the Brooksie Way half marathon in Rochester, Michigan on September 30th.
- Gain upper body strength by using the weight machines and attending a kickboxing class.
- Relax. I plan to do this through practicing yoga on a weekly basis.
My ultimate goal is to participate in a half marathon at the end of September. The event is just two days after my son’s first birthday, so it will be the perfect way to celebrate! I’d love to run the entire race, but I’m not an experienced runner, so if I have to run and walk, that’s perfectly fine by me. In addition to training for the run, I’m going to work on building my upper body strength through yoga, kickboxing, and strength training. I can’t wait to welcome exercise back into my life…and have FUN doing it!
I plan on posting weekly updates of my progress. Stay tuned next week to see my training schedule for the half marathon. The husband will be running it with me, so hopefully we will be able to keep each other motivated.
Do you want to join me and the other bloggers in this challenge? The event starts June 18th and will run for 12 weeks. Set goals, don’t set goals…do whatever works for you! Just have fun and get fit! Together we can motivate and inspire each other to make health and wellness a priority in our lives!
- Sign up at Eco Mom Alliance!
- Follow the Go Green, Get Fit Challenge on Facebook
- Follow @GoGrnGetFit on Twitter and hashtags #GoGreenGetFit and #SustainYourself
- Follow the Go Green, Get Fit Pinterest board for inspiration
- Visit the other great blogs that are helping to put on this great event:
- Erin Naumowicz Editor, Healthy Home Magazine
- Kimberly Danek Pinkson Founder, EcoMom® Alliance
- Shane D. Shirley-Smith, Editor, Environmental Booty
- Paige Wolf Author Spit That Out
- Tiffany Washko Editor, NatureMoms
- Diane MacEachern Editor, Big Green Purse
- Katherine Scoleri Editor, SafeMama.com
- April Gatewood Owner and Writer, Mama on a Green Mission
- Robbie Schneider Editor, Going Green Mama
- Amanda Hearn Owner and Editor, The Eco-Friendly Family
- Sabrina (Bri) Radke Owner and Writer, Eco Baby Mama Drama
- Jenn Savedge Author and Blogger, The Green Parent and Mother Nature Network
- Brenna Burke Owner and Editor, Almost All The Truth
- Gretchen Sowers Owner and Writer, Healthful Mama
- Sarah White Owner and Writer, Mindfully Frugal Mom
- Nikki Board Founder and Editor, Modern Eco Life
- Erin Ely Owner and Editor, Ely Organics
- Katy Farber Owner and Author, Non-Toxic Kids
- Jen McLaughlin Blogger, Jen and Joey Go Green
- Penelope Jagessar Chaffer Blogger, Toxic Baby Blog
- Lori Popkewitz Alper Founder, Groovy Green Livin
- Stephanie Moram Founder and Editor, Good Girl Gone Green
- Anna Hackman Editor, Green Talk
- Lynn Colwell Blogger, Celebrate Green
- Amity Hook-Sopko Editor, Green Child Magazine
- Laura Burns, Pug in the Kitchen
- Danika Carter, Beauty Editor, Greenwala.com
- Micaela Preston, Editor and Founder, Mindful Momma
- And Yours Truly of Course!
Do you plan on participating? Let me know in the comments, and tell me what your goals are!June 15, 2012
This entry was posted in Fitness, Getting Personal, Go Green Get Fit, running. Bookmark the permalink.